Thursday, August 30, 2007

Bring on the Pain

Sarah had to go to the doctor for this today. I only noticed it last night but this morning she said what every mom loves to hear, "Mom, my finger is kinda green." Oh great, now her finger is going to rot off. It's her middle finger too, and I know she will be needing that later in life.

We called the doc and were set to go at 10:45. Sarah loves her doctor. She gets all giddy and excited at the mere mention of his name. I was thinking about how her poor bubble would be burst today because he would probably actually have to hurt her today. You know with shot time he comes in and jokes and laughs and sends the nurse in to do the dirty work so he never has to look like the bad guy. Now that I think about it, he has a pretty good thing going on. I wish I had a substitute to be the bad guy for me. Oh wait, I do, it's my husband! He he.

Meanwhile, back at doctor's office.....we wait and he comes in. Grins, giggles, and hugs. She hops right up on the table, proudly sticks her middle finger up and says, "See my finger? It hurts." He giggles and says "Yep, I bet it does. Let's see if we can fix it."

I had to ask him if I was a horrible parent for not noticing this grotesque thing on her finger and he reassured me it can happen quite quickly.

He comes back a few minutes later. I know what's coming. He is going to have to either cut it or poke it with something and mush all that nasty stuff out of it. I'm mentally preparing myself. I tell her to look at me and we will decide what to have for lunch. As we are discussing lunch he pokes her finger with a needle.

She glares and says "Ow!"

He mushes on it and each times it's a mad "Ow!"

He finishes, she looks at it, gets a pink band-aid, gives him a hug, and hops off the table. I am shocked. He says normally this takes at least two nurses and him to do. I must say, in a way, I'm not surprised.

We were in the van after the visit and I said, "Now, Sarah, you have to wash your hands real good and stop biting your fingernails."

"Why, momma?"

"That's why your finger was hurting. If you don't keep it clean and stop biting your nails we will have to come back to see the doctor and he will have to fix it again."

"Oh goody!"

"Oh God."

3 comments:

Brandon said...

And that is my tough-as-nails Stumpy, who will probably be using that middle finger much sooner than you think.

Is it sync'd yet? said...

boys will pop that themselves....gross eh?


Gnat.
.

RobC said...

My friend KatieB will love this one... she felt terrible letting her daughter go two days with a green stick fracture.
http://katieb4me.blogspot.com/2007/06/parenting.html