Thursday, March 6, 2008

PT

I went to my first physical therapy appointment yesterday. I didn't really know what to expect. I had only been once before, and that was my senior year in high school after ankle surgery. That was not a pleasant experience, as I recall.

After lots and lots of paperwork we got started. She had me to get on a stationary bike for 10 minutes. No big deal, right? Wrong! I never thought that a bike seat could be comfortable or uncomfortable. This thing was downright painful.

Folks, I don't have a bony butt but this seat made it feel like I was sitting directly on my butt bone. I could not get comfortable and with every passing minute I knew I would pay for it later. Sure enough, this morning it hurts to sit down.

The other exercises were quite mild. Nothing painful. Leg lifts, and some twisting and turning. Then the end. The glorious end when I got to relax on a nicely heated pad with little electrodes on my back.

I had heard of these things before but never had it done. They put these little stickers on the area to be worked on with little wires attached to them, and hook it up to a machine. She told me to lay down, get comfortable and let her know when I felt it start to tingle.

Tingle? What in the.....Oh. Let me tell you it is a strange sensation that I can not put into words. The muscles under those little pads get to jumping and they adjust the machine to the intensity that you prefer. I asked her how I would know when enough is enough. She simply said "You know."

She was right. Too much, and I nearly jumped off the table. My back is super, super, ticklish. My husband can think about tickling my back and I shudder.

She got it just right, and for 15 minutes I was in heaven. My feet propped up, my back on heat, nothing to do but relax.

I want to move in there.

4 comments:

Brandon said...

"I want to move in there."

Hey, I can run a couple wires to the wall and tape them to your back, if it'll make you stay....

:-)

SpeakerTweaker said...

I've had that done. For about six weeks after I had done a serious number on the muscles in my back, I got the cairopractic abuse therapy, the deep tissue massage therapy, and got to end each session with the electrodes.

I literally slept for the twenty minutes I got zapped.



tweaker

Is it sync'd yet? said...

You know if they get them in just the right spot. BINGO wooooh nelly!


Gnat.
.

Is it sync'd yet? said...

ps. Forgot to tell you I am having a contest at my blog.

If you guess the right number of marbles in the bowl you get a hand made ornament(made by me) and if you send someone that wins to me you get a marble.

Good luck...