Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Day Three

I was surprised, but Crystal did wake up feeling better that morning. She tossed and turned most of the night, but swore she felt better.

We decided to visit the Golden Gate Bridge that morning. It was more overcast than I would have liked it but we had plans for later in the day. As we piled out of the cab, I looked over at this landmark I had only seen on tv and in pictures, I was truly moved.

There were thousands and thousands of cars driving over it, coming and going, as I'm sure most of them do every day. I was thinking to myself how lucky I was to be standing next to this bridge and how the people in those cars probably don't think twice about it.

We stood and stared awhile then we decided to go for a little walk across. We had no illusions of making it all the way across, but we had to go just a little ways. This picture was taken looking straight up.

This one, straight down:

The pictures really don't convey the size of the bridge. I stood there, looking out over the water, just taking in the cold breeze, the view, everything. I tried to memorize every detail, knowing it wouldn't last forever.

We ventured down to a place called Crissy Field and had hot dogs and I walked along the beach. As I turned to take one last look at the bridge I took this picture. I think it is my favorite. Every time I look at it I say, "I was there. I was actually there!"


We had plans for lunch with one of Crystal's readers. Dan, and his girlfriend Joyce, live outside San Francisco and wanted to take us to lunch. I had no idea the treat we were in for. We went to Fisherman's Wharf and ate a place called Scoma's. I have never had truly fresh seafood before and this was definitely the place to have it. I cracked crab legs for the first time. I even wore the bib! I had shrimp, scallops, and tilapia. I will never be able to enjoy Red Lobster again.

After a very long, and luxurious lunch, we went back to hotel to get ready for the cocktail party at Macy's. Yes, Macy's. It has seven stories. I am not a particularly fanatical shopper, but this place was impressive. The party was a moving party of sorts. It started out on one floor, the shoe department, and then every hour would move to a different floor and department. It was very neat.

This was where I met Redneck Mommy, and Gwendomama, and I'm not sure if it was the first time I met her that weekend, but I saw Carly (I didn't know if you wanted your name used, I do remember it) and Brian, and watched her have chocolate vodka shots. Brave woman she is.

Crystal and I ventured back to China Town for souvenirs and one last walk through. She was hungry and I wasn't quite ready to call it a night. This would be my last in San Francisco. We had to be up very early for our flight back home.

We picked a nice little bistro up the street from The Westin and invited Brian and Carly to join us. We talked and laughed, way later than we should have. I so enjoyed their company. It was a fitting end to a fabulous weekend.

We got back to the hotel, and began the task of stuffing all our souvenirs and grab bags into our luggage. When we had everything packed and finally said good night, I couldn't sleep. I was sad to go. The weekend events played over and over in my mind.

I have nothing but fond memories of this wonderful place and I can't wait to go back. Next time with my husband and kids. They would absolutely love it. Well, my husband will love it when he can legally carry his pistol there. There is so much more I would do and see and I can't wait to be able to share it all with them.

No comments: