Thursday, July 24, 2008

I Am In Love

I am in love with another city. I never imagined I could feel this way about a place. After all, a city is just a city. Filled with people, cars, buildings, hotels, and such. Not true. A city is not just a city. San Francisco was all I imagined it would be. I do realize that I live in one of the shittiest cities in the United States so it wouldn't take much to kick it to the curb, even still, awesome place.

I went for 4 days to lovely San Francisco for the annual BlogHer conference. If you don't know what that is, it is a get together for women bloggers. They have speakers and panels and parties. Lots of parties. They talk about blog design, how to get traffic, and how to get paid for your blog. Everyone had business cards with their name and blog on them. Some gave out trinkets like cigarette lighters, suckers, and necklaces with little light up thingies on them. Lots of different things. There were sponsors of all kinds, from KY lube, to Sprout TV.

Why, you may ask, would I go to such a place? I went with Crystal, for moral support, company, and to help her promote her blog. She is in the midst of some really good stuff happening and there were a few people there directly related to said stuff happening. You get to rub elbows with some of the biggest women bloggers out there. It was very nice to see how very normal and willing to talk all of them were. Well, except for one, which I won't mention, because she apparently likes to cut people off at the knees for negative comments.

The other reason she went was because she was asked to speak on a panel discussing parenting and privacy issues in regards to blogging. The 3 other women on the panel do not use the real names of their children, nor do they show pictures of them. Crystal, of course, does.

Instead of making one, very long post, I will probably make it into a few. Everyone has asked me how my trip was and I just look at them like a teenager in love. Where do I begin? I don't have the words to describe. I am hoping maybe I can write better than I have spoken about it. Also, maybe by writing about it a day at a time will help me to sort out everything in my mind, instead of if being all jumbled up into one awesome experience. Bonus: I have a fresh, written account of it all. I won't remember details forever.

No comments: