Friday, July 25, 2008

Day One

Our flight was scheduled to leave at 6:45 a.m. I could not sleep the night before and I ended up waking up at like 3 a.m. and going ahead and getting my shower and getting ready for my weekend away from home.

Gracie woke up after I got in the shower and kept me company that morning. I loved talking, just the two of us. We were out on the porch and of course the sun wasn't up yet. I had my suitcase packed and ready to go, and she was sitting on my lap. Just for a while she wasn't 9 years old. When Crystal came to pick me up, Gracie put on her best face, while choking back tears, she told me to have a good time.

We got to the airport in plenty of time so I had plenty of time to work myself up into being really, really, nervous about the flight. I don't like flying at all. I must say, though, the flights were very smooth and not so scary as I remembered. I was a little sleepy from my motion sickness meds, so that could have something to do with it.

When we got off the plane at San Francisco we made our way through the airport and came to like a breezeway where we were no longer inside. That cold breeze hit us and we both squealed. We had heard, bring a jacket, wear long pants, but we just came from 95 degrees and 105 heat index. We thought we were ready for a little cool weather. I didn't part with my jacket the entire weekend.

We took a subway, of sorts, from the airport to downtown. When I stepped out of the station I was completely taken aback. It was like being transported to a different world. The buildings rose to the skyline, there were people playing music, there was a feel to it. I knew from that moment that this was going to be a trip I would never forget.

I rode in my very first cab to our hotel and sprawled across the bed while Crystal got ready. The hotel we stayed at was The Marina Inn. The first thing both of us notice is there is no air conditioning. We looked at each other, wondering how in the world could you not have air. Turns out, we didn't really need it. There was a fan in the room but it got down to about 50 at night so it wasn't hot at all. It was small and quaint, but it had two beds and a shower and we weren't in San Francisco to stay in a hotel room.

The first party we went to was at the Slide lounge. It was a private party hosted by The Silicon Valley Moms, that had a guest list and was not open to the public. I felt very important as my name was verified and checked off the list. This joint actually had a slide you could ride down to get to the main floor. I was smart enough to have a skirt on but Crystal took the plunge. You can read about it here, as my words could not possibly convey the hilarity of that event. Oh, and the picture. You must see the picture. In very short terms: slide, very fast, ass on floor, me not breathing for an entire 10 minutes because I was laughing so hard.

Next was a party at a club called The Rye. This party was hosted by a man named Armen, who founded Experience Project. He and his staff are the most passionate people about what they do as I have ever met. Pretty cool thing he started. He, as well as everyone there, made us feel totally at home. Thank you all very much.

We made one last stop by The Westin, which was where the conference was being held, but I honestly don't remember much about that because I was so completely tired, I couldn't but barely keep my eyes open. My body clock was still on Memphis time.

I had a wonderful first impression of San Francisco and of the women I would meet over the days to come. I had my first cab ride, my first time in lounge/club/bar, and I was on top of the world.

Yes, I know, I'm 32 years old and I have never been to a bar. Sue me. I don't drink, and I have been married since I was 18. That crosses out the only two reasons I know of to ever go to one. Except for these two times, which were to neither drink, or to find that "special someone."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bueller??? Bueller???

I blogged about you and Crystal...check it out.

I'm glad you had a good time! It sounds like we had some of the same experience and feels for the city. I can't wait to take the Hubby and kiddos!

Next year...for sure!!

Armen said...

Awww, thank you for your kind comments. We're so glad you made it out (and your first bar experience was a good one!). It was really a pleasure to meet you and I'm so glad you had a great time in our home city.