Saturday, February 23, 2008

Getting Old Sucks

Well, crap. I missed a day already. I even had something to post about, but time got away from me. I went to the Dr. today to find out about the results from my MRI. Oh, I guess I didn't write about that.

I hurt my back at work about a month ago at work. I have never had back trouble in my entire life. I bent over to pick up a box and if felt like my back was being torn in two. I couldn't move. I laid over the box with my ass in the air crying helplessly. The thought of moving, actually having to stand up was, at the time, like asking me to cut off my own leg. The thought was unimaginable. I went by ambulance to the hospital and was sent home saying to see my primary care doctor.

After numerous visits to the doctor they finally decided to check out my back in a little more detail by ordering an MRI. The results: I have a protruding disc. I now get to go to a neurosurgeon to determine if it needs to be fixed by surgery. Of course, I am praying not, but my job requires me to lift very heavy boxes so I am kind of in a bind. Do I get surgery, fix it, and go about my business? Will the surgery fix it? Do I wait, maybe hurt it again, possibly worse than the first time, then be out of work for forever again? They are talking possible physical therapy and maybe a nerve block. I have lots of questions to be answered by the neuro guy.

It has been too soon since my lung surgery last year about this time to be thinking about having surgery again. That was such a painful ordeal, it still hurts to think about it. I'm trying not to borrow trouble, as my mom would say, but I'm worried.

As Scarlett would say, "I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow."

2 comments:

SpeakerTweaker said...

Oh, Mandie. What are we going to do with you?

Wait, why haven't I gotten a phone call about this?!?! You people, I swear. I'm the last to know about everything;)

Anyhoo, if you're wondering about the surgery just talk to Dad. I hope the best for you!



tweaker

takinchances said...

I always prefer to deal with things as Scarlett would; it's much easier that way.

I hope you don't need surgery and I really hope they get rid of your pain.