Thursday, July 5, 2007

I Feel So Loved

My dear, oldest, child Gracie is truthful, almost to a fault. She is the sweetest, kindest, child, of any I know, and would never hurt anyone intentionally. She does, however, tell it like it is.

We were in the van today and the subject of the hospital came up. Now, I was in the hospital for a week back in March of this year after being very ill for 3 weeks prior. While I was in the hospital my mother-in-law brought the children to see me toward the end of my stay.

Gracie says "I'm sorry I didn't come see you more at the hospital when you were there." I told her it was ok. It wasn't like she could drive herself up there. She then says "Well, Mrs. Lora and Nina asked if I wanted to go but I said no." I see her fidgeting in her seat and I don't want her feeling guilty and upset that she didn't come see me. I try to make her feel better.

"Gracie, it's ok. I know it was scary when I was in the hospital. You probably didn't want to see me hurt and........."

"No, momma, I was just having too much fun. I was playing and I didn't want to leave. Is that ok?"

"Yes honey, that's ok."

That's my Gracie!

2 comments:

SpeakerTweaker said...

Tell her she can come stay with her uncle next time.

A few passes behind the lawn mower and she'll be dying to come visit!

Tell her I love her!



tweaker

boksi said...

Hi! Her gesture reminds me so much of me when I was a kid and it is really so rare to encounter today. It is real purity and innocence which will, unfortunately, have to change as she grows up. If she wants to survive in the real world, she must love herself at the first place and above all, and not to care much about the others. If she doesn't do it, she could face some of the troubles that I am facing today- don't want to heart anyone, others seem more important than myself, and at the end you finish last in the row, not knowing what is happening around you. And I was so lovable kid, great in school, cleaver, more prosperous than my friends etc.

So my suggestion would be: if possible somehow, make sure that she changes and starts caring about her needs at the first place. It is really great that she cares so much about you as a little kid, but it is really not good for her to do that. Because she will be able to go through life only if she is selfish enough, and unaware of her mistakes (or aware but forgives herself=forgets it).

I like that kid very much, but life doesn't really appreciates that much 'unselfishness' and self-guilt. So I hope you will take this as my best intention and for her benefit only.

Kiss her for me. Cheers!